From May to August there will be SUP races in each federal state of Austria, organized by ASUPA. There will be short and long distances races, fun races and free SUP rental. The first event of the series took place yesterday.
It was a 1km Sprint race in knock-out format, quite a long distance for sprint, given the finalists had to paddle it 5 times. This was followed by a 8km long distance race. Local Bernhard Seidl, won the sprint final, followed by Thomas Gundendorfer and Carsten Kurmis from Munich.
Roman Frühwald – pictured above – did not compete in the Sprint race as he was working at the Naish booth, but won the long distance race, a triangular course around 3 buoys (1km), which had to be paddled 8x before Christian Moutsakos and Guido Meier.
For the ladies the ranking was the same for Sprint and Long Distance Ulla Waldhuber won, Andrea Moravcova finished 2nd and Petra Offermanns 3rd.
Long Distance Men:
- 1. Roman Frühwald (00:57:52), Naish
- 2. Christian Moutsakos (00:58:05), Starboard
- 3. Guido Meier (00:59:00), JP Australia
- 4. Salmhofer (00:59:30)
Long Distance Women:
- 1. Ulla Waldhuber (01:04:34)
- 2. Andrea Moravcova (01:08:26), Starboard
- 3. Petra Offermanns (01:09:58), Fanatic
- 4. Platz: Landbrandtner (01:23:57)
Salzburger Landesmeister: Berni Seidl (Short DIstance) / Peter Weissenböck Longdistance Race (8km)!!!
All in all a perfectly organized event, thanks to Mario and Philip / ASUPA.at! More pics are here:
26. May 2012 Burgenland – Neusiedler See beim Naish SUP Center im Seepark in Weiden
02. & 03. Juni 2012 Wien – Alte Donau Naish SUP Center im Gänsehäufelbad
16. June 2012 Niederösterreich – Viehofner See in St. Pölten at Seedose
23. June 2012 Oberösterreich – Wolfgangsee St. Wolfgang at Seecamping Appersbach presented by SUP Center Salzkammergut
30. June 2012 Kärnten – Wörthersee presented by IRONMAN Austria
14. June 2012 Niederösterreich – Krems an der Donau presented by SUP Center Kanu Wachau
21. July 2012 Burgenland – Neusiedler See in Podersdorf am Nordstrand presented by Mission to Surf
18. August 2012 Vorarlberg – Bodensee Bregenzer Strandbad
Further Info and Registration: http://www.asupa.at/anmeldungLM.php