Everybody who has been travelling with a SUP knows what for a pain this is. If you are tired of carrying around your SUP, you might want to consider an inflatable.
Have little rubber fins that to not give much traction and no special fibers or stringers that make the board rigid. They bend like bananas for heavier riders but can still be good fun for lighter riders and make the sport easily accessible.
have a full size fin with US Finbox System and better traction. They usually also have sytems that make them more rigid.
The new inflatable Touring and Raceboards for example from Fanatic or Mistral are really good.
What is better?
Inflatables have gotten really good but they will always be slower and cost more energy than fixed boards of the same shape
I would always choose an Inflatable race board (e.g. Fanatic Fly Air Race) over an Allround SUP with the rounded Shape (e.g. Fly Pure).
I would always choose an carbon race board over an inflatable race board.
When to buy an inflatable SUP
- you have no space to transport or store a fixed board
- you want to ride on rivers/whitewater
- you want to hike up to a mountain lake with your board
- you consider pumping the board up a fun part of your warm-up
- you want to do yoga on your board
- you want to take your kids or dog on the board (get the Fly Air Touring 12″ x 34″ from Fanatic)
- you want more workout in less time
- all your friends or your partner are on ISUPS too