Portugal is a great place to SUP
- There is approximately 1114 miles of coastline, most unexplored by SUP.
- Portugal sits on the same latitude as central California and shares similar ocean influenced weather patterns
- You can drive easily from one end of Portugal to the other in a day, legally.
- Quality wines start at €1 bottle and a set lunch with wine is around €7
- Easy access from all of Europe and flying in to Lisbon you can be at your destination within an hour of collecting your hire car.
The area of Peniche although renowned throughout the world as a surf spot and highlighted each year with the ASP Rip Curl Pro Peniche event really does have it all for the visiting paddleboarder.
Supertubos, Lagide and Belgas
are World class surf beaches which can get really big.
its tranquil waters make it a great place for the less experienced and beginner paddleboarders or for when the waves are just too big. There you can enjoy some relaxed cruising in beautiful surrounds!
After a day out on the waves or lagoon visit the traditional fishing town of Peniche where the harbour is lined with excellent fish restaurants all offering a vast selection of freshly caught fish including the local favourite ‘Sardinhas grelhadas’. While you are in the Obidos area a visit to the medieval walled town of Obidos is another ‘must do’ and during July you can experience the annual Medieval Fiesta and really take a step back in time.
Another great place to paddle in Portugal is Arrabida Natural Park and Luiz Saldanha Marine Park . Our friend Jason from supXscape is offering guided tours and board rental in the area
For more information on SUP in Portugal, check out supXscape.com